I read this great, aka challenging, post the other day (10 Things Pastors Absolutely HATE to Admit Publicly) and began applying it to my own life in the circles of influence i have.
For myself i have added number #11 to the list
#11 : I worry that i’m not ____________ enough and can’t provide the help you need (fill in the blank: good, qualified, smart, compassionate, wise, cool, relevant)
#11 is my biggest worry, fear, whatever.
There is even a phobic name for it.
#11 is the one i need to punch in the face, shut it up and nullify any limitation it could place on me. i will not live within its boundaries or restrictions.
It looks back at me in the mirror and whispers nasty things, chattering away with untruths, half truths.
You see the reality is that sometimes I’m not blank enough.
But WITH GOD nothing is impossible. WITH GOD I can do all things.
I am just a jar of clay to show that the all surpassing power is of God (2 Corinthians 4:7)
The fears forget those promises of God and that He makes me blank enough.
The most effective way to deal with those trash talking voices is to replace them with a truth. The Truth. Remove the lie and speak the truth.
We have to refuse to live with atelphobia and to live in the freedom of God’s acceptance and power.
Rewrite the script you live by and know that God graces and empowers you to serve Him.
How do we rewrite the script?
1. know what God says about you – find specific personal verses in the Bible that God makes personal to you – highlight them, write them down, meditate upon them
2. stop the fear in its tracks… change the way you think but stopping the thoughts before they become a negative downward spiral
3. talk to someone about how you feel. let them give you a new encouraging script and perspective
4. step out and help someone – use the gifts and talents God has given you and watch Him work His wonder THROUGH you. a few positive experiences under your belt is evidence you are blank enough
5. make a list of all the ways you are enough – your talents, your values, your attributes
In myself I am nothing, but with God I am everything.
He qualifies and equips the called.
My job is to say YES to the things He is calling me to do and He will enable me to be a best fit in that moment, for that role.
In Him I am blank enough.
Do you ever struggle with feeling not blank enough? Or is this just me?